Please check out my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/glasspanic and follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/glasspanic

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

SEO no!

This morning, as I was trying to finalize a topic for today's blog post, I kept getting distracted by an overwhelming sense of dread that I would never be able to conquer the nightmarish world of search engine optimization (SEO). So, rather than just ignoring it and hoping it would go away, I decided to make SEO my topic. Given the amount I know about it, this should be a short post! :)

For those of you who know as much or less than I do about SEO, it's what it says it is - optimizing search engine results to benefit your business.  As my technologically-challenged brain understands it, content of your site dictates where you come up in search engine results.  So, by carefully choosing terms or "keywords" that are most often used in searches, and using those terms on your site, you improve your ranking in searches.  Of course, I am WAY over-simplifying it and, for all I really know, there is some kind of magic involved.

  
In reading through the Etsy forums, there's all this advice about how to choose and use keywords to drive traffic to your site.  At this point, it's all about as clear to me as Chinese, but my little shop needs traffic and will die without it, so I must learn the language.  But, I can't help but wondering - if a lot of people are honing their SEO skills (which seems to be the case based on the amount of discussion online about it), and not every one can be at the top of a search, is there any point? Can't I just hope for luck and maybe a little magic? Hmm....so much for not ignoring it :)

1 comment:

  1. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    denver website design

    ReplyDelete